Born in Naples, the landscape painter Alessio de Marchis was mainly active in Rome and Urbino. He received his formation in the circle of Salvator Rosa. As a young artist he worked as a fresco painter in the palaces of the Albani and Ruspoli families in Rome. Later he worked at the Palazzo Albani in Urbino, and seems to have spent the remainder of his career in the Marches and Umbria. Among his important later commissions were the decoration of the Palazzo Anselmi and the chapel of the Collegio Gregoriano in Perugia, where he died in August 1752. See Marco Chiarini, Alessio de Marchis as a Draughtsman, in Master Drawings, Vol. 5, January 1967.