Architect, designer and artist, Gio Ponti graduated in Milan in 1921 and initially associated himself with Emilio Lancia and Mino Fiocchi. In 1927 he founded 'Il Labirinto', with Lancia, Buzzi, Marelli, Venini and Chiesa, to offer high-level furnishings and objects. From 1923 to 1930 he was Richard Ginori's artistic director. With the founding of the magazine 'Domus' in 1928 (which, except for brief interruptions, he would direct until his death), Ponti contributed intensely to the renewal of Italian production in the sector, to which he gave new impulses. He participates as a protagonist and supports the Monza Biennials, then the Milan Triennials, the 'Compasso d'oro' award and the ADI (Association for Industrial Design). As architect, Ponti was responsible for the symbol of modern Milan, the Pirelli skyscraper, designed in 1956 with Fornaroli, Rosselli and Nervi. In 1951 he built the second Palazzo Montecatini (his first office building dates back to 1938-39). In 1957 he designed the famous 'Superleggera' chair for Cassina, culminating a long and fruitful collaborative relationship. He also combined his design activity with teaching activity at the Faculty of Architecture in Milan from 1936 to 1961.