Bronze, brown patina, signed and dated A Mancini / 1910; 39,5 by 29 by 27 cm. Mounted on a marble column section, overall dimensions 39,5 by 29 by 27 cm.
PROVENANCE: Originally in the collection of Giuseppe Chierichetti, the work was sold in 1928, in the second sale of the Chierichetti collection at the Milanese Galleria Pesaro (lot 116).
LITERATURE: La Galleria di Giuseppe Chierichetti, parte seconda, Galleria Pesaro, Milan, January 1928; lot. 116, illustrated.
Raffaello Giolli, Cronache Milanesi, in Emporium vol. LXVII, no. 39, pages 49-56, illustrated at page 53.
This bronze, which is an example of Mancini’s occasional activity as a sculptor, is of great rarity. I know only another cast of this work, which was originally property of Mancini’s heirs, and was auctioned in Rome in May 2016.
It should be noted that the two fusions differ: in the one offered at auction in Rome only the head appears, on the contrary in our cast the artist’s father is portrayed with part of his bust and has been mounted on a marble column section (Macchiavecchia marble).
The version coming from Mancini's heirs appears at least in one painting by the artist, Il Garofano Rosso, which was on view a few years ago in Milan in the major exhibition devoted to Mancini by Bottegantica. See their catalogue Antonio Mancini, Genio Ribelle, Milan 2016; cat. no. 37.
Mancini was a very precocious artist: he arrived in Naples in 1865, entering the Institute of Fine Arts when he was only twelve years old, and studied there under Filippo Palizzi and Morelli. His early works center around themes of everyday reality, like the sculptures of his friend Vincenzo Gemito. In 1872 Mancini exhibited two paintings at the Paris Salon and in his first trip to Paris in 1875 he met the Impressionists, a contact which pushed his art toward a more luminous, painterly style. He painted for the art dealer Goupil and worked also for Mesdag, the Dutch dealer and collector. In 1883, Mancini settled permanently in Rome; he lived in Frascati from 1912 until 1918 as guest in Villa Jacobini, owned by his patron Fernand du Chene de Vère.