Engraving, after Ingres. A very good posthumous impression of the final state, with the address of the Regia Calcografia, Rome, and its blind stamp, which has been used until 1947. Printed on thick and soft wove paper, with wide margins, generally in very good condition. To the platemark 312 x 245 mm, the entire sheet measuring 447 x 340 mm.
This print is certainly one of the best known images of the great violinist.
The son of an engineer at the Civitavecchia harbour, Calamatta, orphaned as a child, was educated by his uncle. In his early years he moved to Rome where he devoted himself to the art of drawing and engraving. Among his Roman teachers there were the engravers Antonio Ricciani and Domenico Marchetti. He went to Paris in 1822, where he became a follower of Ingres and made his first appearance at the Salon of 1827. Calamatta worked in Paris from 1823 until 1836, when he moved to Brussels as a professor at the Ecole Royale (1836-61). In 1860 he was appointed director of the Scuola d'Incisione at the Brera Academy and moved to Milan. A rebel spirit, Calamatta participated in the revolutionary movements of 1848 in Paris and fought on the side of Garibaldi in the third Italian Independence War (1866).