Black chalk, traces of heightening with white, on blue paper; 274 x 190 mm.
A very tiepolesque drawing, which matches well the chalk drawings by Lorenzi; see George Knox, Tiepolo, a Bicentenary Exhibition, Fogg Art Museum, Harvard University, 1970; cat. no. 27, illustrated. The main period of Lorenzi's activity in the Tiepolo studio was the late thirties and we have no firm indication of when he left the studio, but there are signs that he still maintained some contact with the Tiepolo family in the fifties.
He was initially a pupil of Matteo Brida in Verona, but went to Venice and became a pupil of Giovanni Battista Tiepolo. In 1750, he returns to Verona, where he obtained many commissions, although he had to compete with his contemporary Giambettino Cignaroli. Many of his works were in fresco. He even set up an academy that competed with Cignaroli. He painted a Holy Family for the church of San Lorenzo in Brescia and he was active across the region.